The 1st World Congress on Innovations for Livestock Development
26th - 30th June 2016, Nakuru, Kenya
“FOSTERING INNOVATIONS FOR THE LIVESTOCK INDUSTRY”
The livestock sector in most developing countries has been on an upward trend, experiencing expansion in mainly small-scale production systems thereby sustaining livelihoods and contributing significantly to gross domestic product (GDP) of most countries. A livestock revolution is taking place owing to increased demand for livestock products emanating from increasing urbanization, population growth and improving household incomes. For instance, demand for dairy products is projected to increase at 3.2 to 3.5% annually. This sectoral expansion can only occur when it is supported by experts with specific hand skills and knowledge to support the growth as well as technological innovations.
|The 2016 World Congress||The 1st World Congress on Innovations for Livestock Development (1st WCILD) aims to provide a platform for scientist, innovators and entrepreneurs to present, and share findings and experiences on how the latest developments in science and technology have shaped development of innovations utilized in livestock to efficiently produce high quality, safe and sustainable food and non food products. The 1st WCLID presents an opportunity for presentation of how scientific and technical achievements in livestock sciences have been translated into practice. Special focus will be on how generated scientific knowledge has been utilized in developing innovations for use in smallholder systems and also adoption to indigenous livestock based production systems.
Consequently, the congress will feature leading scientists, producers and policymakers who will review the current state of knowledge and innovations in livestock genetics and breeding, animal health, application of biotechnology in reproduction and livestock feeding and nutrition. Further, effects of the role of gender and climate change in utilization of science and technology, and development of innovations for use in livestock systems will be discussed. The programme is organized to also allow for exhibitions by companies in the field of animal production.
Besides the well planned scientific programme, an exciting social programme has been prepared to give delegates the opportunity to explore some of the scenic sites in Kenya during their stay in Nakuru. A welcome reception and congress dinner are planned as an avenue for participants to network while enjoying the Kenyan cuisine, culture and warm hospitality.
|Overall Congress Theme||The overall theme for the congress is “Fostering Innovations for the Livestock Industry”
The congress will cover the following sub themes:
• Innovative Input System: In this sub theme, a transformative approach to livestock production focusing on innovative use of technology for enhanced livestock productivity will be presented. Papers on technology use in livestock systems will be presented. This will range from innovations and technologies that enhance efficiency input use, high animal productivity, reproductively and survival as well as food safety from both developing and developed countries.
• Sustainable Production Systems: Papers in this sub theme will focus on livestock production systems that are responsive to climate change. Presentations will be on innovations that enhance the systems resilience to climate change as well as systems that reduce the impacts of livestock on climate. In view of these papers on systems that reduce green house gas emissions, waste management and nutrient cycling in the systems are encouraged.
• Marketing and Agri-Business: This sub theme is dedicated to papers that analyse the livestock value chain with the view of eliciting discussion on enhancing the efficiency of livestock marketing and business.
• Food quality and Safety: in this sub theme, innovations and technologies that enhance quality and safety of livestock products for food will be presented. In addition, the safety and quality of livestock by products such as hides and skins etc. will also be presented.
• Role of Gender in Enhancing Innovations in the Livestock Industry (Gender Equity): Gender is a critical crosscutting issue in livestock production. a deeper understanding of association between gender and application of technologies and utilization of innovations in farms is critical for the transformation of the livestock sector. This sub theme is therefore dedicated to presentations that elucidate gender as a major cross cutting issue in the livestock industry.
|Expected outputs and outcomes||The expected outputs from the conference include;
i. Key policy issues for governments
ii. Synthesis of current innovative technologies and approaches for management of livestock
iii. High quality research papers
iv. Synthesis of issues and challenges of utilization of innovations in management of livestock
v. Conference proceedings
vi. Database of regional researcher scientists and their partners
The expected outcomes as a result of the congress include;
i. Shared appreciation of the importance of innovations for management of livestock the development of the livestock sector
ii. Shared understanding of the existing gaps and challenges in utilization of the innovative approaches in the livestock sector
iii. Increased awareness of social –economic benefits of transforming management of livestock through application of innovative technologies
iv. Strengthened communication skills of young scientists
|Venue||The 4 day conference will be held at the Sentrim Elementaita Lodge, Kenya, from 26th to 30th June 2016. The congress is being organized by Egerton University, Kenya, Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria and Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Malawi.|
|Important Dates||Registration opens: 5th April 2016
Registration deadline: 5th June 2016
Exhibitors registration: 5th May 2016
Call for abstracts opens: 15th March 2016
Deadline for abstract submission: 15th May 2016
For registration and submission visit www.wcild.org